SYNOPSIS - KHAMOSHI
("SILENCE THE MUSICAL")
- Prologue: Annie and Raj and their son Sam get
into a car accident. Raj and Sam are all right, but Annie falls into
a coma. The doctors doubt she will survive. As her loved ones take turns
by her bedside, Annie remembers her past:
- Annie is born to deaf and impoverished Goan
Christian parents. Her Auntie Mariam teachers her to love music.
- Mariam dies, and then Annie's little brother
Sam takes a fatal fall from the top of the church within which their
parents are praying. Upon finding their son's broken body directly outside
the church entrance, Annie's parents renounce God.
- Flash forward: Annie is still religious, however.
She is also incredibly beautiful, and wins the attentions of Raj, a
budding composer who considers her voice to be the inspiration for which
he has been waiting. He woos and wins her.
- Alas, Annie feels she cannot leave her parents,
particularly after her mother takes ill, and the limitations imposed
by their deafness are made plain.
- Raj assures Annie that he'll never take her
away from Goa - he just wants to make music with her. He decides to
ask her father for her hand in marriage.
- Annie's dad buys the piano back for Annie. He
expresses a strong aversion to Raj, and will not hear his suit.
- Finally, after much cajoling, he does give Raj
a hearing. The two sets of parents meet, and the dinner is a near-disaster.
Raj saves the day with humor.
- Annie's dad burns his hand at the factory job
where he's been working for the last fifteen years. His boss fires him.
- Annie is overwhelmed with anger at the unfair
decision. She forgets her meeting with Raj. Subsequently, they fight,
make up, and then, for the first time, make love, after which he must
leave Goa for a short time. He promises to return.
- While Raj is gone, Annie finds out that she's
pregnant. Her father throws her out of the house.
- Raj returns and they get married, but her parents
do not attend the wedding.
- After the baby is born, Raj and Annie visit
Annie's parents, and all is forgiven on both sides.
- Sam is christened, and at the christening,
Annie's dad apologizes to both Annie and Raj for the mistakes he's made
in treating them so badly.
- Back to the present day: Annie is still unresponsive.
The doctors have abandoned all hope. Raj begs Annie's dad to call her
name just once, saying it's always been her greatest wish. After struggling,
he manages to (aw, see, deaf-mutes are just lazy, that's their only
problem!) - and Annie awakens. Happy ever after, credits.