...your launchpad to the world wide bollyweb!
MORE SONG LYRICS!
- For older films, the mother of all Hindi lyrics sites (with an option
to view in Devanagari).
- Another site that allows you to view lyrics for older films in Hindi
script -- but without downloading the font!
- Lyrics and downloadable sheet music for selected classic
Hindi film songs.
- Translations of some of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's most famous qawwalis.
- Hindi lyrics from assorted Bollywood films.
- Great collection of old and new Hindi film lyrics.
Anant Mathur's Lyrics Collection
- A collection of Hindi lyrics from the newest film songs.
- A Swedish site that offers Hindi lyrics from assorted Bollywood
- Hindi lyrics from assorted Bollywood films (with a few translations!).
Lyrics and MP3s
- Hindi lyrics from assorted Bollywood films with MP3s to match.
- The site can be a little confusing for new visitors, but it does
have a collection of translated film lyrics.
- Rajshri is the film company that created hits like 'Hum Aapke Hain
Koun' and 'Maine Pyar Kiya' (though if anyone can explain why that
movie was a hit, please let us know). The company was gracious enough
to supply the lyrics to their films as well, so surf on over!
- Translated Tamil Film Lyrics
- Subhash World offers a great collection of translated lyrics for
Tamil film music. A fabulous resources for A.R. Rahman lovers determined
to follow the maestro wherever he may wander (or, in this case, wander
Know of an on-line lyrics collection that isn't listed
us know so we can add a link to the site!
FILM AND MUSIC
- Reliable film and music reviews.
Bollywood Film Reviews
- A personal take on the best and worst of Bollywood. Great stills,
Stomptokyo Bollywood Film Reviews
- The worst of Bollywood gets stomped on here. Don't read while drinking:
you'll ruin your keyboard when you burst into hysterical giggles.
- Witty academic commentary on films new and old.
- Merciless reviews of recent releases; also extensive coverage of
classic movies and legendary film personalities.
- These Bollywood fans are mad as hell and they just won't take it
anymore. The merciless reviews of recent films are fun, but spoofs
like "Censor" and "Kaho Na Beach Hai" are what
keep us coming back for more.
- Speaking of spoofs..."Phir Bhi Film Hai Hindustani" (and "Hum Bore
Ho Chuke Sanam" (I've Become A Bore, Darling) are must-reads. Nor
should you miss the opportunity to sock it to Hrithik Roshan. Literally.
The best place to listen to film songs. A great
selection that spans the decades, with an option to create your own
personal album to listen to as you surf onward.
Indian Film Songs
Think your favorite film tune sounds strangely familiar?
Then check out this site, which chronicles the many instances of melody
plagiarism perpetrated by (gasp!) some of your favorite composers.
Listen to the original and the purported copy as well, then you
be the judge!
the gossip just isn't enough)
- More pictures of Bollywood stars than you ever thought existed.
If your favorite stars aren't here, they may be figments of your imagination.
- The unofficial website of BollyWHAT!'s officially favorite star.
We shall never bow to Hrithik! But if you must...
Roshan's Unofficial Home on the Web
- Yeah, yeah, we know he can dance. And we're not blind, either.
- ...Or we could just cut to the chase, since you know this is what
you were really looking for.
- On a more serious note, this new website promises to fill the gaps
in Bollywood web coverage. Bollywood501 offers photo-filled profiles
of pre-1990s screen legends, plus in-depth analysis (and hard-to-find
stills!) of classic films. Where else can you chart the impact of
Dimple Kapadia's wardrobe in the 1973 superhit Bobby?
- On a more serious note, this new website promises to fill the
gaps in Bollywood web coverage. Bollywood501 offers photo-filled
profiles of pre-1990s screen legends, plus in-depth analysis (and
hard-to-find stills!) of classic films. Where else can you chart
the impact of Dimple Kapadia's wardrobe in the 1973 superhit Bobby?
GENERAL RESOURCES (for Hindi, India,
and greater South Asia)
- A fabulous page full of on-line resources for the Hindi student,
supplied by the University of Colorado.
Guitar Chords and Tabs for Hindi film songs
- For all you filmi strummers...
Bhindi: Mumbaiya Slang
- Of great use when watching gangster flicks...
- A mailing group (the posts are also accessible on-line if you don't
wish to clutter your inbox) composed of over 80 people who are learning
or love Hindi - meaning any question you ever have regarding the language
or a specific translation will never go unanswered.
to Read Urdu
- If you know Hindi, why not learn to read Urdu and impress everyone
with your trilingual brilliance? UK India proves that it's not
as hard to do as it looks (but you don't have to tell that to the
people who will ooh and aah when you write their names in Perso-Arabic
- Just type in the transliteration of a Hindi word for the English
definition. (Rather confusing to use, though.)
- The mother of all web guides to everything South Asian. Gathered
by a professor of Hindi-Urdu at Columbia University, the links are
organized by subject to sites treating innumerable aspects of South
Asian history, culture, art, and language.
Bay Area Residents - The Oakland Public Library, Golden Gate Branch
- Forget the video store: the Golden Gate Public Library has a growing
collection of Hindi-language DVDs, soundtracks, and an entire bookcase
devoted to South Asian literature all free! Who said Diwali
only came once a year?
Think there's a link that should be here but isn't? Let
us know and we'll humor your conviction!